St. Stephen’s Green
St. Stephen’s Green, informally known as Dublin’s Central Park, is the largest park in Dublin City Centre.
The popular area is adjacent to Dublin’s famous high street Grafton Street and is surrounded by café bars and restaurants. The shopping centre opposite was even named after the landmark – the St Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre.
The park itself has many unusual aspects and displays many monuments and sculptures around the grounds of the park. A very interesting feature of the park is the North West corner, which is a park for the blind. It has an array of scented flowers which are labelled in braille.
The history of St Stephen’s Green
The park, designed by William Sheppard, opened to the public in the summer of 1880. In earlier years St Stephen’s Green Park was not open to the public and only used by wealthy people who owned plots in the park.
An unknown fact to many is that St Stephen’s Green park is where those who own a ‘Key To Dublin’ are allowed to shave sheep in this public area. Bono, a famous Irish musician and member of the band U2 has this privilege. Other key holders are Brian O’Driscoll – Irish Rugby Player, Former US President Bill Clinton and many more.
St Stephen’s Green is just a 20 minute walk or a 15 minute journey on public transport from Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane.